The Big Y Feed Store on lower Main Street (Route 25), shown below in a 1910 photo, is where local farmers would go to purchase feed for their livestock. (Photo courtesy of the Monroe Historical Society)
The building, which previously housed the Turney Shirt Factory, later was moved across the street and served as Pernak’s Cabinet Shop until burning down in the 1980s. The house on the left was the Turney family residence, and also is no longer standing.
The Big Y Feed Store was not affiliated with today’s supermarket chain.
(Photo courtesy of Monroe Historical Society)