A photo from about 1940 of the Monroe Airport building constructed on Ben Hurd’s farm on Moose Hill Road. The airport was where St. John’s Cemetery is today. It was owned and operated by Ben Hurd.
Below, an aerial view of the airport shows an oval on the lower left in the field, where a race track had opened in 1933.
Far below, Monroe resident John Yaros stands on his Waco bi-plane as he prepares to take off from the local airport.
(Photos courtesy of Monroe Historical Society)